Thane previously called as Thana is the third most industrialized district in Maharashtra. Apart from Udaipur, Thane is also known as the ‘City of Lakes’, due to the presence of numerous beautiful lakes around the city. The scenic beauty of the city still remains intact and it has a pleasant climate throughout the year. Apart from natural beauty there are several historical buildings, including a fort and several churches.
The population has also increased multifarious and Thane now subjugates pride of place as a prime suburb. You would encounter a Marathi culture in Thane, mostly of people from Agri, Wadavli, Kolhi and Ghati communities. People in Thane call themselves as the proud Thanekars and are welcoming to every person who enter the city.
Where is Thane Located?
Thane is located near the big city Mumbai; it shares its island with Mumbai. The famous hills Yeoor and Parsik hill surround thane city. Ulhas and Vaitarna rivers pass through this city and Thane lies at an elevation of 7 meters above sea level.
What is the best thing about Thane?
The best thing about Thane is that it offers a plethora of excursions to choose from. It has a historic significance and also walks on the steps of modernization. It gives you places to wander, eateries to eat delicious food, hills to go rock climbing, beach to enjoy the cool breeze and many more things to count on.
Thane tourism has increased immensely, tourist visit thane all-round the year. You can go Sightseeing and one day nature trails, trekking to forts like Harishchandragad and Mahuli, Star Gazing and camping at Dehne , Water sports, Kayaking at Badlapur and visit the popular theme parks too. Apart from historical and nature wildlife Thane is famous for its local cuisines. You can find eatery options ranging from the local street food to 5 star hotels.
Thane is most lighted during the festivals, people are busy in celebrating these with happiness all round. All traditional festivals of diverse Indian Culture like Gudhi Padwa, Ram Navami, Gokulashtami, Wat Purnima, Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Durga Puja, Diwali, Shivaji Jayanti, Mahashivratri, Rang Panchami, Maharashtra Day, Id, Christmas any many more are celebrated in Thane with marvellous splendour, zest and zeal. The most celebrated festival amongst these is the dahi handi festival where millions and zillions of people come on the streets to break the high tied handis and win prizes. Another place of importance is the Gadkari Rangaytan Auditorium which is popular for hosting plays and cultural activities.
Which are the famous tourist spots in Thane?
There are plenty of tourist spots to visit in Thane, here are some of the most famous one we have tried listing;
- Masunda Talao: One of the most important and beautiful lake amongst the many lakes in Thane Most people visit this lake with family and friends. It offers delicious local eateries which fulfil the food lovers’ appetite. You can also enjoy water scooters and other boating facilities.
- Yeoor Hills: Mostly a weekend getaway for people residing in Thane. A pollution free lush green Hill also called as the “Mama Bhanja hills” is perfect for a short vacation. You should also visit Swami’s Math.
- Essel World: A popular Amusement Park which comprises of 34 rides is located in Gorai. This park is the most visited places in thane.
- Water Kingdom: Water Park located near Essel world claims of having the largest wave pool in Asia. It offers numerous rides which leaves its visitors content.
- Tikuji-ni-wadi: It is separated into numerous themes, you can select among fun in water, Dinosaur Park, or a miscellany of Ferris wheels and carousels from where you get to see the surrounding landscape.
- Suraj Water Park: Brilliant picnic spot and waterpark with delightful rides in the purlieu of Thane. It is so spacious that it is also used for marriage ceremonies or grand parties.
- Kelva Beach: Kelva Beach is one of the largest beaches in Maharashtra. It is a popular attraction in Thane and has a 7 km coastline stretch of Arabian Sea.
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park: The rich flora and fauna of Sanjay Gandhi National Park entices millions of visitors every year. The Park offers a pleasurable change from the common sights, attractions, rush and glamour of the big city.